With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we have love on the mind. And, if you’ve ever considered boudoir photography, both Valentine’s Day AND your wedding planning process is the perfect time. Whether taking the images for yourself or as a gift for your someone, many of you will take on new fitness regimes, eat healthier and will most definitely have a glow that only happiness can bring you. This being said, we worked with one of our favorite wedding photographers, Sara Hasstedt, and came up with a few pointers if you’re considering a shoot.
1. Decide what style of boudoir feels right for you before hiring the photographer. Are you hoping for something more refined and sophisticated? Do you like something more pin up style? Are you more flirty and girly? Decide what you like and more importantly what you would realistically feel comfortable doing in front of a camera. Then find the photographer that can create that look with you.
2. Think about your health regime. Not that you have to. At all. If you love your body as is, amazing! If you want to firm up a bit before the wedding or even just the shoot, consider a personal trainer or just eat a little cleaner. A healthy diet not only trims you up a bit, but makes your skin glow…
3. Location, location, location. What style are you going for with your images? Do you like the idea of a vintage, Parisian style hotel room? Or maybe a clean loft style space? Maybe you want to play it up in your very own home? Think about the vision as well as where you will feel comfortable.
4. Hair & Makeup. Definitely get a professional to do your hair and makeup. Don’t be afraid to vamp it up a bit with some dramatic lashes and big, playful hair. Both look amazing in photos and remember, these photos are typically fantasy based, so don’t be afraid to do something out of the norm. And, of course, get a mani and pedi.
5. What will you wear? Definitely think of a few different outfits. Consider warming up with a sexy robe or men’s button down and then gradually get a little braver with pretty lacey things or little bra and panty sets. And, don’t forget to get creative. If you’re partner is a sports fan, maybe do something fun in a jersey from his/her favorite team. You get the picture…And, definitely don’t forget the shoes. A great pair of heels makes almost everything sexier.
6. Know your boundaries and communicate them. Are you comfortable going completely nude or do you want to leave something to the imagination? Do you want images with you looking straight at the camera or are profiles and silhouettes more your style? Have a conversation up front with your photographer so they can plan out your shoot accordingly.
7. Grab a cocktail before the shoot. Loosen yourself up with a glass of wine and put on music that makes you feel pretty. Don’t get drunk, obviously, but get a little loose…you’re pictures will be that much better for it!
No matter what, do not do anything that feels uncomfortable or unnatural to you. While you might love flirty inspiration with a model giving her best “sex face”, if that’s not who you are, it won’t translate in pictures appropriately. Just be yourself…And, above all else, have fun! Whoever this gift is for, they are guaranteed to be obsessed with the finished product! Enjoy!
Image above is from the beyond talented Sara Hasstedt. Lingerie from our all time favorite, atelier, Naked Princess.